If your home is located in the suburbs or in a rural area of Cross River, NY, you probably have a septic system rather than a city or municipal sewer connection. Caring for your septic system is not complicated; in fact it is quite easy, as long as you follow some basic rules. Modern septic systems are quite efficient and should last for a long time.
Thank you for getting all of our drains working again. Your technicians are very helpful!Harold W
Arrived on time and they performed a terrific job fixing my problem.Brandi B.
For Septic System Maintenance in Cross River, NY Call (866) 675-2543
Here are some tips and suggestions to protect and care for your septic system:
- Know where your septic tank and drain field are located. As much as possible, keep a record or sketch of these locations.
- Keep a service maintenance record of your system in a convenient location where it can be available at once when your service provider comes to visit.
- Abide by the local ordinance requirements for septic system inspection and pumping.
- Mount risers on your septic tank and ensure that its cover is reachable for pumping and inspection.
- When you notice any signs of system problems, call a qualified and certified professional like SewerMan of Cross River, NY. A DIY solution may cause more trouble. Be sure that you receive a complete and detailed record of the repairs done.
- Before any repairs or maintenance are done on your septic system, be sure to get the proper permits for the work that will be done.
- Water conservation to avoid system overload is another way to care for and protect a septic system. Fix any leaking toilets or faucets.
- Redirect the flow of other sources of water such as house footing drains, sump pumps, and roof drains away from the leaching field. A water logged leaching field will prevent it from processing the wastewater naturally.
- Install water saving devices in toilets, faucets and showers that will enhance the bacterial environment in a septic tank. This will allow the solid waste to drop to the bottom of the tank while the clear wastewater in the middle of the tank will flow unimpeded to the drain field.
- Avoid pouring grease, oil and fat down the kitchen sink. These substances can accumulate on the drain and pipes and could cause clogging.
- Minimize the use of bleaching chemicals and other harsh cleansing chemicals. They may kill the anaerobic and aerobic bacteria in the septic system that digest the waste.
- Never put hazardous substances such as gasoline, paint thinners and other chemicals in the septic system.
- Only biodegradable products such as laundry detergent, dishwashing soap, toilet paper and cleaners should be allowed to enter your septic system.
- If you have a garbage disposal, be sure that you only put biodegradable, edible and disposable items in it.
- The best protection for your septic system is a regular preventive maintenance program.
At SewerMan of Cross River, NY we will tailor a preventative maintenance program to meet your needs. We look forward to serving you. Please call us to schedule an appointment.